didn't get my w2

What happens if you haven’t received a W-2 yet?

Word on the tax professional "street" is that tax filing numbers are down across the board so far.  It seems that many taxpayers are a little skittish about all of the changes this year.  And some folks are seeing lower refunds than they might have expected.  It makes for a stressful time of year.    One of the most common questions we receive is about what happens if you haven't received a W-2 yet?


So, I thought I'd take a moment to answer that for you.  If you work, or have worked, for somebody else, you know a W-2 form is essential when filing your taxes. Without it, you're stepping into the batter's box without a bat.  This particular tax form summarizes your annual income, benefits and taxes.

But if you have yet to receive your W-2 from a current or past employer, I want you to first contact them and ask why the delay. If you receive little response, or an unhelpful one, please consider these three important steps. You might need to implement one or all three of them in an effort to obtain the document and get on with your filing.

If none of these three options work, please reach out to me immediately. We can discuss the next best steps you can take moving forward.
Reach out to the IRS
The good part is that the IRS has made an effort to streamline their customer service questions through a toll-free number: (800) 829-1040. Calling this number is your first step toward receiving a substitute W-2 which you'll need ASAP.
The bad part in dialing this number is the automated process it will walk you through (and the potentially long wait time). But if it's a matter of receiving such an important document, enduring the process is a solid option. In addition, before you call, make sure you have these documents/details on hand:
- Employer's name, address and phone
- Dates you had or have been employed
- Estimate of wages you earned from the previous year
We can help you with this.
Fill One of These Out Instead
If you're low on patience with the IRS, and your employer has yet to deliver your W-2, there are a couple more forms you could fill out.
Form 4852 is a "create your own" W-2 form, and you can use some of the information you prepared for the IRS, and therefore have on hand, to fill it out.
If the thought of creating a substitute W-2 makes you wary, you could request a filing extension using Form 4868, which will give you an extra six months to file your taxes. And if an extra six months is not enough to receive a W-2 from your boss, then you might have other issues to resolve in addition to filing taxes on time.
We can also help you with this.
Correct Any Mistakes
Sometimes, after completing the custom W-2 using Form 4852, taxpayers will send that form into the IRS, only to receive their actual W-2 days later. Use the real W-2 to double-check the information you wrote down on your 4852.
And if, for instance, you forgot to mark down a bonus you had received (in addition to your income from the year before), I don't want you to panic.
Form 1040X isn't as intimidating as it sounds. It will help you record the changes necessary to your W-2, which the IRS will fix after you mail it in.
Again, if you complete these steps or have further questions, please give me a call. Trying to file your taxes without a W-2 is not a happy feeling ... but you're not alone.
I commend any effort you take to resolve this issue on your own, but don't hesitate to reach out for help. Talking with people like you is why I love my job.

gig economy

What Gig Economy Workers Should Know About Taxes and the IRS

Are you part of the gig economy?  According to WhatIs.com, the "gig economy is a free market system in which temporary positions are common and organizations contract with independent workers for short-term engagements. The trend toward a gig economy has begun. A study by Intuit predicted that by 2020, 40 percent of American workers would be independent contractors."  In basic terms, think about folks who are Uber drivers, Airbnb hosts, etc.  Basically, anyone who gets a 1099-K is part of the gig economy and that could mean the IRS will be focusing on you in the coming months and years.

A new report from the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TGITA)  said the IRS should be providing more accurate guidance and notices regarding self‑employment tax obligations. Many self-employed workers are responsible for tax withholding and compliance and the guidelines may not be clear.

For the report, the TIGTA reviewed cases in the IRS’s Automated Underreporter program for taxpayers who work in the gig economy with discrepancies between what’s reported on their income tax returns and the payments reported on their 1099-K forms, payment card and third-party network transactions, by payers for tax years 2012 through 2015.  The discrepancies and underpayments of taxes were very concerning.

The TIGTA noted that the treasury regulations don’t require companies to issue a Form 1099-K unless workers earn at least $20,000 and engage in at least 200 transactions. That means many taxpayers, who earn income in the gig economy, don’t necessarily receive a Form 1099-K, so their income isn’t always reported to the IRS. “When income is not reported to the IRS, taxpayers are more likely to be noncompliant,” said the report.

This issue will likely be further investigated, and new processes put into place to minimize non-compliance but it also may cause gig economy workers to be at a much higher risk for future audits.


Source: https://www.accountingtoday.com/

Powered by Top Rated Local®